Man Attacked Outside of Salt Lake City Gay Club

by Accidental Bear

A 20-year-old Salt Lake City gay man was attacked and hospitalized last Friday night as he left the downtown club, Club Sound. Dane Hall was in the hospital for four days, lost six teeth and his jawbone was broken in three places. This is a dirty rotten shame on the human race! Mike Enders


Hall said he left Club Sound, which is gay-themed on Friday nights, and crossed the street to the corner of 600 West and 200 South in Salt Lake City, when four men approached him and began yelling gay slurs. He was then punched in the back of the head and knocked to the ground. One of the assailants grabbed his shirt and began punching him in the face, he said. After Hall fell to the ground again, the attacker grabbed him, placed his open mouth over the street curb and stomped on the back of head, knocking out six teeth in a move commonly referred to as ‘curb checking,’ which can result in death in many cases. Two other assailants kicked him repeatedly in the stomach, Hall said. The attackers called him a ‘fag’ and took his identification and $40, he said.

“I could have died. And a piece of bone from my jaw was jammed into my brain, to make things worse,” Hall said in email correspondence because his jaw is still wired shut after the attack. “If anyone has any information leading to the arrest I am offering a $10,000 reward.”

The hospital bills will total more than $30,000 and unless the assailants are found, Hall could be stuck with the bill, he said. Although he filed a police report, there have been no leads on the case and no suspects have been named, he said.

Salt Lake City Police said the case is active and being looked into.

The attack comes just months after another similar attack in April outside of the club of another gay man. Jordan Corona, 21, left Club Sound on a Friday evening in April and was attacked from behind by several assailants, he said. He was treated for a concussion as a result of the attack, he said.

“The doctors say I was lucky no bones are broken. But my collar bone is really bruised, probably from being kicked on the ground, and my wrist is sprained and my face is just really messed up,” Corona said.

No arrests were made and no one was charged as a result of the attack. Corona’s cell phone was stolen and phone calls were made, but the information did not help police, Corona said.

Anyone with information about the assailants or any possible leads are being asked to call the Salt Lake Police Department at 801-799-3000.

A fund has been established at Zions Bank to help with Hall’s medical costs. Simply ask to donate to the ‘Dane Hall Fund’ at any bank branch or call 801-524-4972. Metro Bar, which is across the street from Club Sound, will also be hosting a fundraiser and raffle for Hall on Saturday night. For more information, go to the the Metro Bar Facebook Page.

More information will be posted on as it becomes available.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: